The AAC Learning Center Moodle provides free evidence-based content on augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) for pre-service teachers and speech-language pathologists. Students will be able to complete activities on-line, and then download a Certificate of Completion as documentation of their activities. Students also will be able to print and complete a guided notes activity that summarizes the key content of the module.
Below please find an outline of the content for Active Listening for SLPs. Please click on Active Listening for SLPs to view the materials at the AAC Learning Center Moodle. You will be asked to register/sign-in at the Moodle site.
Additional information on the content of this module is available in: Mandak, K., Light, J., & McNaughton, D. (2020). The effects of an online training on pre-service speech-language pathologists’ use of family-centered skills. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 29(3), 1489-1504. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_AJSLP-19-00057
• 242 students have earned Certificates of Completion for the Active Listening module
• 96% of students would recommend or strongly recommend these materials to other students
Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) who work with individuals with complex communication needs (CCN) all have one thing in common—they work with families! Since family members are often the most significant communication partners for individuals who use AAC, SLPs must provide services that are family-centered.
In this module, you will:
• learn about the experiences of families of individuals with CCN and why family-centered services are important;
• be introduced to the LAFF strategy—a strategy to effectively interact and develop positive relationships with families;
• have the opportunity to practice recognizing and using the LAFF strategy during SLP-parent interactions in an online environment.
We estimate it takes students approximately 75 minutes to complete this module and earn the Certificate of Completion. To view the module, please go to https://aac-learning-center-moodle.psu.edu , register, and log in. You will then be able to select (“Access”) the module on Active Listening for SLPs.